Re: about immediate and deferred variable assignment in GNU make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: about immediate and deferred variable assignment in GNU make
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:16:13 -0400

%% Lin George <address@hidden> writes:

  >> info is a GNU make function (introduced in GNU make 3.81).
  >> You can look it up in the GNU make manual.

  lg>   a=abc
  lg>   all:
  lg>           $(info $(a))

You don't have to put this into a rule, if you don't want to.

  lg>   when I use make in Linux, the output is,

  lg>   make: 'all' is up to date.

I said:

  lg> info is a GNU make function (introduced in GNU make 3.81).

Most likely you are using an older version of GNU make.

Use "make --version" to see what version you're using.