Stderr

From: Leeuwesteijn,Joost
Subject: Stderr
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 17:37:33 +0200

Hi all,

Quick question:
My compiler puts -all- its output to stdout, including warnings and errors.
That's too bad because I redirect the normal output to a file, but
developers would like to see the warnings and errors scroll by.

How does gcc handle this? Do warnings and errors go to stderr, as I would
expect?

I'd like to have a clean make output ("Compiling file1.c ..." etc.),
redirect all other compiler output (header, version, "everything okidoki")
to a file (or /dev/null) but ONLY display warnings and errors. I was
wondering how gcc does this.

Regards,
Joost Leeuwesteijn