Re: gmake -n doesnt help during recursive calls to make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: gmake -n doesnt help during recursive calls to make
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 21:41:16 -0400

%% "Aditya Kher" <address@hidden> writes:

  ak> I am using an elaborate build system that traverses large
  ak> directory tree and re-compiles the targets based on the
  ak> dependencies.  As a part of this, there happen to be separate
  ak> Makefiles in the sub-directories which are called with appropriate
  ak> command line arguments. The calls are not necessarily done by
  ak> #include <Some-Makefile>.

You mean "include", not "#include" (right?)

  ak> They are also done as ${MAKE} <some arguments>

  ak> My problem is gmake -n doesn't help in terms of dumping all the
  ak> "actual commands" - since gmake comes out of different sub shells
  ak> as it progresses through the building of targets.

Sorry, but I didn't understand this paragraph at all.

Can you give a short example?