Installing Make on Mac OS10.4

From: Mark Fussell
Subject: Installing Make on Mac OS10.4
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:34:09 -0400

Hello,
  My end result would be to install a newer version of Zip for Mac OSX
10.4.7 that handles encryption
(http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050928160546665).  To do so,
I need the make utility installed.  I do ./configure on make 3.8.1 and it
tells me " configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH".  I
thought installing GCC would fix this, but when I try to ./configure gcc
4.0.0 I get " configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH".
  Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this chain of
installations started?  Thanks.

--
Mark Fussell
IT Department