No rule to make target... problem

From: Daniel Harezlak
Subject: No rule to make target... problem
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:38:37 +0200

Hello,

I have a problem with pattern rules. I simplified my Makefile and got the following:

.PHONY: all create

all: create file.out

create:
        touch file.ext

%.out : %.ext
        mv file.ext file.out

After invoking make I get "make: *** No rule to make target `file.out', needed by `all'. Stop." Then when I invoke make for the second time everything seems to work just fine. As I understand it the prerequisite "file.out" should be matched with the pattern "%.out" and the stem % should then be replaced by "file" making the "%.ext" prerequisite look: "file.ext". The file in turn was already created by the "create" rule. However, it does not work.
Please, can someone help solve this problem?

--
Daniel