Re: Make dependency check

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: Make dependency check
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:08:53 -0700

On 11/25/06, Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
Probably I'm just showing my ignorance WRT C++ but somehow I had it in my head
that the no-.h header files were allowed to be pre-compiled or included in the
compiler (rather than being separate files) or similar.

That's correct, but it appears to be a fairly rare practice.  My guess
is that the increase in maintenance complexity makes putting them in
the compiler itself impractical, especially given the classical
library vs compiler split.  Meanwhile, if it's just a matter of
precompiled headers, then treating it as a caching problem and
continuing to supply the 'raw' headers makes adoption easier,
particularly for people using tools like makedepend.

Note that the same is true of the standard C header files, so this
issue isn't new with C++.

Philip Guenther