Improvement on parallel make

From: Christophe Lyon
Subject: Improvement on parallel make
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:17:41 +0100

Hi all,

Following a thread earlier this year
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2006-04/msg00014.html ), I
have decided to work myself, and I propose a patch as attached to this
email.

It is based upon work from Alexey Neyman (see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2005-04/msg00087.html ).

In summary, it adds a news special dependency '.WAIT' which is used to
stop parallelization: any of the dependencies _after_ .WAIT wait for
the dependency before .WAIT before starting to be updated. (Note that
they wait only for the dependency immediately before .WAIT, not for
all the preceding ones)

Attached is a simple test Makefile to show the results.

I would like to get your feedback/comments on this patch.

Best regards,

Christophe.