Re: Improvement on parallel make

From: Alexey Neyman
Subject: Re: Improvement on parallel make
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:00:43 +0300

Philip,

Dotting the i's: the problem I was originally trying to solve
with .WAIT was concurrent access to an archive file. Thus, I'd be
happy to see any of the serialization means: .MUTEX, .WAIT -
whatever. I just chose .WAIT because:

- It is available in another widely used make variant (BSD make)
- It seemed easier to implement

I admit that perhaps, something like .MUTEX (restricting certain goals
from being updated concurrently) would be more straight-forward and
error-proof.

One more idea: .LOCK special target. The prerequisites of this target
cannot be phony; make will ensure no concurrent operation on this
target using file locking or "dot-lock" method. For targets that are
archive members, the archive is locked.

Regards,
Alexey.

--
Ye speak the words that ruffle our feathers and cause our blood to
boil!