Re: Improvement on parallel make

From: Brendan Heading
Subject: Re: Improvement on parallel make
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:08:08 +0000

Alexey Neyman writes:
Philip, Dotting the i's: the problem I was originally trying to solve with .WAIT was concurrent access to an archive file. Thus, I'd be happy to see any of the serialization means: .MUTEX, .WAIT - whatever. I just chose .WAIT because:

IMHO it is still better to make the archive dependent on the object files and regenerate it en-masse after all the objects have been built as required. IMHO, in this case .WAIT is just syntactic sugar.