Re: Improvement on parallel make

From: Brendan Heading
Subject: Re: Improvement on parallel make
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:03:49 +0000

Brendan Heading writes:
Christophe Lyon writes:
Consider a variant of this; the original Makefile is:
all: one two three
one:  some-deps1
  cmds1
two: some-deps2
 cmds2
three: some-deps3
cmds3
Now, I call "make -j" and discover that one two and three should be ran
sequentially, I suppose you will suggest to have two depend on one and three depend on two. But then, I would like that when I call "make two", only two is rebuilt, not "one".
Inserting .WAIT in the all target solves this issue, without calling make
recursively.

As does making one a prerequisite of two.

Oops, sorry. You already said that. Let me digest the latest messages before going further. Brendan