Re: Why dependent on a specific C runtime version?

From: Aditya Kher
Subject: Re: Why dependent on a specific C runtime version?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:11:41 +0530

I am not sure why this question is addressed to GNU Make mailing list
but nevertheless, the shared objects/dlls will always depend on the
specific version of glibc.
You can not have it 100% portable.
-aditya

On 2/8/07, Lin George <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello everyone,

Why running a program on a specific platform (Linux), there are runtime errors
which mentions that specific LIBC runtime version is required (for example,
GLIBC_2.3.3).

I think C runtime should be compatible (means using one version of gcc to build
a program, it should be able to run on platform which contains another version
of gcc runtime). I am not sure whether this error is caused by some wrongly
used compile/link options (which binds this program to specific C runtime
version)?

thanks in advance,
George