Re: ordering the targets

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: ordering the targets
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 00:26:29 -0500

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 09:31 +0530, Bhargava Ram wrote:

Please CC the help-make mailing list on all email.

> Thanks for the help, but i think simple expansion won't help me. In my
> case i will add a variable to target like this :
>                    ABC =
>                    TARGET :=  $(ABC) $(TARGET)
> and ABC will be defined later.

Then you're out of luck.  All you can do is add a variable to TARGET at
the beginning, then add to that; something like:

        TARGET = $(PRE_TARGET)
        TARGET += post stuff

        PRE_TARGET = $(ABC)
        PRE_TARGET += $(DEF)

Etc.

> One more thing is If I have some value in TARGET before the statement
> it is getting cleared after the statement. Can you help me ?

I'm not sure what you mean; can you post an example?

Any setting of TARGET (other than +=) will override any previous
setting.