Re: Fixing a Target Order based on the requested target?

From: Yannick Koehler
Subject: Re: Fixing a Target Order based on the requested target?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 08:30:38 -0400

2007/3/21, Dave Korn <address@hidden>:

  Use a sentinel?

.PHONY: a b c d e
a:
  @echo "Target $@ is Done"
  @touch .e-ok

b:
  @echo "Target $@ is Done"
  @touch .e-ok

c:
  @echo "Target $@ is Done"
  @touch .e-ok

d:
  @echo "Target $@ is Done"
  @touch .e-ok

e: .e-ok
  @echo "Target $@ is Done"

.e-ok:
  @echo "You must build one of a-d before you can build e"
  @exit -1

    cheers,
      DaveK

Thanks for this idea, it looks like a real step forward for my issue.

Yet, now that this works, I have found another problem.

If someone do

make a b e

the system build e before b is completed.  But e doesn`t detect b as
it has not been built before it...

So the sentinel make sure that e is built only after at least one of a
b c d is built but it doesn`t garantee that e is the last one built
which is also another need I have.

--
Yannick Koehler
email: address@hidden