Re: Make, Implicit Rules, and Better Output

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Make, Implicit Rules, and Better Output
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 08:33:55 -0400

On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 23:33 -0500, Michael Aaron Safyan wrote:
> My main issue is that I have tried using pattern rules to create such
> an output, but make seems to ignore the pattern rules I have defined.
> Additionally, I have not seen any examples dealing with the .cpp
> pattern rule; only examples for .c.

> Can anyone help?

Not really.  While you have described in great detail WHY you want to
use a pattern rule (which is interesting but not relevant to solving
your problem), you haven't given us even a single example of HOW you are
using pattern rules.

Pattern rules unquestionably do work, so your problem must be that you
are using them incorrectly.  There are quite a few ways in which this
could be true, so it's not useful for us to guess.

We'd be happy to help: if you would like help please provide the
necessary info including: version of GNU make and the operating system
and version you're running it on (output from make --version for
example); a short but accurate example of a makefile that doesn't work
(please give the exact code: don't paraphrase); and a statement of what
you wanted to happen and what actually does happen.

Cheers!