Re: Regarding make command

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Regarding make command
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:16:52 -0400

Kristof Provost writes:

 > > You should be able to replace the command by the following:
 > > cd src && ${MAKE} all

 > I tried with the command what you gave, but now I am getting a new error.
 >
 > Bad character & (octal 46), line 9Make: .  Stop.
 >
 > I am using Hp UNIX machine.

I would be surprised if HPUX make was THAT different.

I rather suspect you removed the TAB character from the beginning of
the line when you edited the file.

All shell script lines (such as this one) in a makefile must use an
actual TAB character as the first character on the line.  You cannot
use spaces, etc.

Also, you should be sure not to use a stupid editor like Windows
Notepad etc. which reformat the file to have Windows style newlines (I
know you said you're running this on HPUX but I've known people to not
be familiar with UNIX editors and so they copy the file to their
Windows box, edit it there, and copy it back.  Don't do that!)

Also please reply to the entire list rather than to just one person.
Thanks!