Re: help: wildcards in rules

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: help: wildcards in rules
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:29:22 -0400

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 13:15 -0400, German Salazar wrote:
> I am having a problem with expanding wildcards in a rule, am I missing
> something? According to user's manual section 4.4, wildcards like *
> and [...] are allowed, but it is not working for me; here is my rule:
>
> $(fobjs): $(cdir)/%.o: %.[fF]*

Well, I'm assuming that you don't have any files in your directory that
match the pattern "%.[fF]*"; that is, any files named with a percent
followed by a dot followed by either a lowercase or capital F, followed
by any number of other characters.

Wildcards are expanded BEFORE pattern substitution happens.