Re: Why doesn't this work properly?

From: Rick Flower
Subject: Re: Why doesn't this work properly?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:07:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, August 31, 2007 12:58 pm, Rick Flower wrote:
> On Fri, August 31, 2007 12:34 pm, Brian Dessent wrote:
>> Now make is doing the equivalent of:
>>
>> sh -c "ln -s foo.cc .; ln -s bar.cc .;"
>
> Thanks Brian.. I guess that pretty much solves the issue..
> I'll leave it as you suggest and get on with my coding..
> Thanks again!

Ok.. Now that I've got a nice list of objects that need to be
remade for my test-stubs and the Makefile is dynamically making
symbolic links that point to where these test stubs live, I find
now that I'm getting the following when trying to build any of them:

make: *** No rule to make target `../obj/foo.o', needed by `all'.  Stop.

I believe this is because by the time I've recomputed the object lists,
Make has already got its head made up about the entire list of objects..

I find that IF I re-invoke Make again, then it builds everything as
expected.. I've dug through the -d output and verified that by the
time it's looking for foo.cc, the symbolic link has already been created
so the file does in fact exist.. Below is some debug output :

  Successfully remade target file `../obj/regularFile.o'.
  Considering target file `../obj/foo.o'.
   File `../obj/foo.o' does not exist.
   Looking for an implicit rule for `../obj/foo.o'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `foo'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `foo.cc'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `foo'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `foo.c'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `foo'.
   Trying implicit prerequisite `../obj/foo.c'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `foo'.

Ideally it should have found it with the ".cc" version above..  Any ideas?