RE: using make to run binaries

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: using make to run binaries
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:45:16 +0100

On 17 September 2007 14:36, address@hidden wrote:

> We have got a problem using 'make' to start binaries: we use 'make' not
> only for compilation but also for testing our compiled binaries on input
> data like this:
> # make output.data
> to create a line like this:
> # /path/to/binary -i input.data [more args] > output.data
>
> The problem is that output.data differs from the output obtained by the
> very same command line when run manually. So the binary is the same, the
> command line args are the same, too. What could be the problem? I also
> already tried environment variables, but they are the same, too.

1.  Are you /completely/ sure there isn't some other version of the program in
your PATH that might be getting in the way of one of your tests but not the
other?

2.  How did you check the environment vars were the same?  Are you certain
you're using the same shell as make uses?  Does the problem occur even at the
command-line if you prefix your command with 'sh -c'?

3.  In what way do the output files differ?  Is it something the program is
supposed to do?

4.  (I'm staking my 50 qatloos on this one:)  Are you in a different working
directory when you try the command-line test as compared to when you run it
under make?  Are there different input.data files in those different
directories?  Are you looking by accident at the wrong output.data file?

    cheers,
      DaveK