RE: using make to run binaries

From: Paul Smith
Subject: RE: using make to run binaries
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:31:56 -0400

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 19:16 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> Make will invoke your program using 'sh -c', unless you have set SHELL
> in your environment, in which case it uses that.

This is not true; at least not for any POSIX operating system.  Not sure
about Windows ports.

GNU make _always_ uses '/bin/sh -c' regardless of the value of SHELL in
the environment, UNLESS you explicitly set the make variable SHELL from
within your makefile.  SHELL is a special case variable that is handled
differently from all other environment variables.

To take the user's $SHELL would be a disaster, since so many people
continue to use that drain-bamaged horror known as C shell :-).

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us