testing returnvalues

From: k wayne
Subject: testing returnvalues
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:51:09 +0200

hi,
i'm quite new to makefiles, bash-scripting and this mailing list.
although i believe my problem is a simple one, i could not come up
with an answer myself, so please help me out :)

so, what i'm trying to do is run a command, test its return value
agains a given number, and if they match, the makefile should fail and
stop processing any further.

what i have ended up with ultimately, after quite a long time of
testing, reading manuals and searching the web is the following:

someTarget: dependencies
<tab> if [ "`/bin/sh -c 'myCommand --options -asdf'`" -eq "5" ]; then fail fi

however, that does not seem to work and i get an error saying that
/bin/sh misses a fi. i tried moving the fi down, leaving a backslash
at the end of the line and tabbing the fi so it stands below the if,
but the situation does not change.

unfortunately, i cannot use external tools or the autotools to
generate the makefile

last but not least, i'd like the solution to be as cross-platform as
possible, so sticking with /bin/sh or /bin/bash and some kind of make
(not necessarily GNU) would be ideal. however, if this is not possible
(without causing headaches), i'll be happy with any other soltuion ;)

thank you in advance