Re: using output of perl script in make file

From: Ken Smith
Subject: Re: using output of perl script in make file
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:40:57 -0700

On 10/25/07, Brian Dessent <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ashish Raikwar wrote:
>
> > RELEASE_TAG_VALUE=$(shell perl ./version.pl -v)
> > BUILD_DATE_VALUE=$(shell date -u +"%A-%b-%d-%Y-%H:%M:%S")

if RELEASE_TAG_VALUE isn't getting the value you expect, then the
problem is that version.pl is not writing the text to standard output.
 If version.pl is writing the text to stderr, you could redirect.

RELEASE_TAG_VALUE=$(shell perl ./version.pl -v 2>&1)

But, there is nothing wrong with your make fragment per se though I
totally agree with Brian's suggestion to use simply expanded
variables.  I wish you the best in your debugging of version.pl.

   Ken