Re: Finding Circular Dependencies

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Finding Circular Dependencies
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:37:24 -0500

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 20:59 +0100, Alexander Kriegisch wrote:
> May I be so bold as to ask if it would furthermore be possible to
> handle recursive make calls in a structured way? Say, I have a
> buildroot with several sub-makes for third-party applications. Would
> it be possible to dump all make outputs in one big tree (might be a
> problem because of multiple targets with the same name) or each one in
> a separate file + information about which make target triggers which
> sub-make?

This would be hard to do in a comprehensive way.  Make doesn't really
know anything about sub-makes: make sees a target that needs to be built
and runs the command to build it.  A sub-make is just like any other
command to make, it just happens to invoke make instead of a compiler or
whatever [1].

And, as you point out, if your makefiles are written simply then you'll
get a lot of conflicts between target names.

I suppose it might be possible to pass in some special parameter to make
that gave it a prefix to prepend to every target to make them unique in
the graph display, then write some kind of postprocessing script to
collect it all.

This seems to be a QOI issue that I urge you to take up with whomever
gives this a go! :-).

-----
[1] Actually make does have minimal knowledge of which commands run a
sub-make, so it knows how to handle them during -n runs etc.  Even so,
make just runs the sub-make as a separate process.

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>                 http://make.mad-scientist.us
 "Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional."--Mad Scientist