how does make handle output to stderr ?

From: Per Jessen
Subject: how does make handle output to stderr ?
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 10:52:49 +0100

Paul Smith wrote:

> Well, you said it seemed to be related to running via cron.  It seems
> unlikely to me that if the same build with the same amount of
> parallelism and the same command line running on the same server in
> the same filesystem works properly when you invoke it by hand and
> breaks when you run it from cron, that it is related to the filesystem
> timestamp support.

I'm restarting this thread - I've been making some progress.

The problem I'm seeing is (somehow) directly related to output to
stderr.  One of the utilities I'm using in my jobs produces output to
both stdout and stderr (5-6 lines of diagnostics etc.)

I went in and made some minor changes in job.c to deal with stderr
output.
After the child has been forked(), I open temporary file and use dup2()
to direct stderr output that way - and everything suddenly works!
All of my jobs are run, and the output is also no longer garbled nor
truncated.

It's hardly a fix for the problem - I would sort of prefer to have the
stderr output present in my final output too, but it's not critical, so
as a work-around this will do.

I've been trying to spot how & where (in job.c) stdout is being treated
differently to stderr, but I haven't had any luck just yet.

/Per Jessen, Zürich