Re: Confusion over documentation wording, variable usage, and scope

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Confusion over documentation wording, variable usage, and scope
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 01:34:47 -0400

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 22:09 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>      I don't understand why make isn't properly inserting values from
> the define statement in the define statement.
>
>      My $(filter ...) and $(filter-out ...) logic was correct -- I
> verified with a sample example. However, when I used $(warning
> __generic_target), all that was printed out a null value following the
> assignment. This confuses me because (with my limited understanding of
> make), the assignment / substitution should not be occurring all at
> once, but instead should be deferred until $(eval ...) is called.

You mean, $(warning $(__generic_target)) I'm sure.

We can't really help without seeing an example of the problems you're
having.  That's why I suggested creating a simple example: so you can
post it here along with the output you get, and a concise description of
why you think it's incorrect and/or what you expected to get.

> Are there any known caveats to using built-in make functions from
> within define'd statements that anyone knows of?

Not in particular; just the standard ones of understanding when things
get expanded and when they don't.  Functions follow the same rules as
variables in this respect.

> Also, is there a built-in equivalent to Makefile.inc with ppmake as
> there is with gmake (e.g. a file that automatically gets searched for
> and included)?

I'm not sure I know what you mean, but I don't think so.

> Would you guys also have an issue with me helping make the error
> messages a bit more intuitive?

If there are real improvements we're happy to have them.  We'd need to
see an example of what you mean before we can decide of course.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us