Re: Make with zsh (was: whitespace in filenames)

From: David Boyce
Subject: Re: Make with zsh (was: whitespace in filenames)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 11:28:55 -0400

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Paul Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 09:43 -0500, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> Are there any caveats about using Make with zsh?  I've run into some
> bash compatibility issues outside of Make, but no problems in Make
> itself.

Make doesn't care; it just runs the command that's present in the SHELL
variable.  That command can be or do anything.

Of course, if your recipes are not portable to zsh then you'll run into
problems, but make itself doesn't care.

Well, technically, it cares to the extent that the program named by SHELL must accept the -c flag naming a command. I.e. make execs $(SHELL) -c <command>.

Of course all traditional shells do have a -c flag with those semantics, but I ran into this years ago when I tried setting SHELL=perl, because perl uses -e instead of -c. I do wish the flags passed to SHELL were configurable but doubt it matters to enough people to be worth a fix.

David Boyce