Re: Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation and Parallel Execution

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation and Parallel Execution
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 01:06:55 -0500

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 18:51 -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Another issue is ncurses and how it does it's echo'ing (see the
> following line from progs/Makefile.in):
>
> transform.h :
>         echo "#define PROG_CAPTOINFO \"$(define_captoinfo)\"" >$@
>         echo "#define PROG_INFOTOCAP \"$(define_infotocap)\"" >>$@
>         echo "#define PROG_RESET     \"$(define_reset)\""     >>$@
>         echo "#define PROG_INIT      \"$(define_init)\""      >>$@
>
> Under certain conditions this fails (the bugs who reported the
> internal bug didn't have a clearcut means for reproducing the issue).

I can't see any possible way that this could fail, unless maybe there
are multiple instances of make trying to create this same file.  I don't
accept the assertion that this is real-life race-condition-prone code.

When this fails, what are the symptoms?  Is the transform.h file
corrupted somehow?  In what way?

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us