Re: make options

From: Sam Ravnborg
Subject: Re: make options
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:20:17 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 04:25:45PM +0200, Michael Slootsky wrote:
> Dear sirs
>
> I use 'make' many years include usage of options which don't present in
> manual's synopsis and aren't described in any document: 'config',
> 'menuconfig', 'oldconfig', 'modules-install', 'dep', 'clean' etc. All my
> attempts to find out complete  official definitions of these non-synopsis
> options failed.
>
> Would you like to hint were I can get the information?
What you list in this mail is typical targets in a makefile.
Options you can recognize that they usually are preceeded by a hypen '-'.
So "make -j config"

pass the option -j to make and you specify the target config.
So to find the list of targets you need to look in the Makefile
that you implicitly ask make to read.
[implicit as make always try to read makefile, Makefile and GNUMakefile]

Some makefile includes a help target so you can do: "make help"
to get a list of available targets. But most do not.

        Sam