Re: learning make

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: learning make
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 08:50:32 -0400

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 04:27 -0700, Payal wrote:
> Hello all
> I am not a C/C++ coder at all. I am a part-time sys adm which requires me to
> use a lot
> of shell scripting and some perl. But for a long time I was intrigued to
> learn make.
>
> My question is - with my background, can I learn make or do I have to know
> C/C++ beforehand?

You don't need to know any programming language to use make.

Make is a tool used to update a set of target files, based on changes to
a set of source files.  That's it.  Any time you have a situation where
you modify some files, then want to run a predefined set of steps to
update other files, you could use make.

People use make for all sorts of tasks that have absolutely nothing to
do with programming: updating web sites, creating documentation,
performing backups, and a whole host of other things we probably would
never think of.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us