Re: Help-make Digest, Vol 80, Issue 12

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Help-make Digest, Vol 80, Issue 12
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 20:17:52 -0400

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 15:25 +0800, xiangfeng shen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have encountered a rule:
> default %:
>    @echo "blah blah"
>
> What's the meaning of the rule?

Hi Carl; please do not reply to digests.  You should use a decent mail
client that can break a digest out into its constituent mails then you
can reply to the individual mail you care about.

And, you should not top-post.  And, you should never include the entire
post you are replying to.

And in this case, you aren't replying to ANYTHING in the digest that I
can see, so really you should have just started a new mail rather than
replying in the first place.

Really just about everything that could be wrong with this email, is
wrong... which is probably why you didn't get a response.

The answer is there's nothing very unique about this.  It's just the
same as writing:

        default:
                @echo "blah blah"
        %:
                @echo "blah blah"

(you can see this by using make -p and examining the database).  The "%"
is a match-anything pattern (see the GNU make manual), so any target
make wants to build that is not matched by any other rule, can be
matched by this one.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us