Re: gmake -C mess up MAKEFLAGS?

From: Harvey Chapman
Subject: Re: gmake -C mess up MAKEFLAGS?
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 10:53:08 -0400

On Oct 31, 2009, at 10:32 AM, RobinK wrote:

want that "w" to be in $(MAKEFLAGS). Plus, even if it has to add the w, shouldn't it be "-w" rather than just a "w"? The extra w totally messed up

Grab a copy of the make manual. I keep a PDF copy on my laptop for quick reference.
From the make manual:

5.7.3 Communicating Options to a Sub-make
Flags such as ‘-s’ and ‘-k’ are passed automatically to the sub-make through the variable MAKEFLAGS. This variable is set up automatically by make to contain the flag letters that make received. Thus, if you do ‘make -ks’ then MAKEFLAGS gets the value ‘ks’.