RE: auto-dep cannot possibly work?

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: auto-dep cannot possibly work?
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:50:42 -0800

If you mv a file, all files which included the old name must be edited, and therefore also rebuilt.

-------

No, no, it is not foobar.h that is moved.  include/foobar.h is included.  We would prepare a new header file, long time ago, with the name include1/foo.h.  And now we

>mv include1/foo.h include1/foobar.h

No files have to be changed at all.  All files just

#include “foobar.h”

It is only the path of the found foobar.h, that changes.

But as I said, the developers must be aware, that “mv” does not change timestamp, and that timestampts are important with make.  They know this, whether is a complex or simple makefile without dependencies.