Re: how to allow multiple empty commands?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: how to allow multiple empty commands?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:50:07 +0000

On 2010-02-04 06:46Z, Mark Galeck (CW) wrote:

> Section 4.11 Multiple Rules for One Target
> (...)
> If more than one rule gives commands for the same file, make uses the
> last set given and prints an error message. (As a special case, if the
> file's name begins with a dot, no error message is printed.

Your makefile had '.\foobar:;' (a windows equivalent of './foobar:;'),
meaning the file named 'foobar' in the current directory. I thought
the special case referred to a name like '.foobar'. However, this:
  eraseme.make:5: warning: overriding commands for target `.foobar'
  eraseme.make:2: warning: ignoring old commands for target `.foobar'
  two
is what I see when I run the following makefile, so maybe I guessed wrong.

.foobar:
        echo one

.foobar:
        echo two