RE: why doesn't vpath %.c subdir// work?

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: why doesn't vpath %.c subdir// work?
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 00:48:36 -0800

>Don't double-slashes have some magical meaning in paths in Windows?

No - double-backslash does, but not double-forward.  It just means nothing,
syntactic sugar.  That is why I posted here, because I thought this had nothing
to do with Windows.

>Regardless, if "foobar/" works and "foobar//" doesn't work, then why
are you writing the latter?
>"Doctor, it hurts when I do this?"  "So stop doing that!"

C'mon Philip, this is bad analogy, obviously, it must be that I need it for
something.  What makes you think I am a masochist??

OK if you really want to know...
This is "syntactic sugar", a "marker", I use it so that when the compiler
returns such paths to me, it preserves the marker, or rearranges it in a
predictable way, so I can process statistical information about the usage of
the paths.  Not source paths really, these are cheap to search, but include
paths, which are very expensive because of the number of include files per one
source.  I put markers in both include paths and source paths, they have to
differ in a certain way.  It would be better for me to use // if it worked in a
vpath.  Because it does not work, the next thing I can use is like \.\.\, this
is longer and uglier, people notice and ask questions.  By statistically and
dynamically optimizing the usage of compiler directory lookup, I can
dramatically cut down long build times.