Re: Parallel make: "Waiting for unfinished jobs" message

From: hi
Subject: Re: Parallel make: "Waiting for unfinished jobs" message
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:48:28 +0530

Hi Eli,

>> Or what should I do to exit from make entirely once it finds that particular
>> dir doesn't exists?

>Why do you need that?

In case where this kind of problem occurs then I am planning to exit entirely from make so that developer can get attention immediately.

Pl. let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thank you.
-Hiral

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:05:42 +0530
> From: hi <address@hidden>
>
> While building parallel build, I observe following message...
>
> make: *** /u/user1/bld/com: No such file or directory.  Stop.
> make: *** [com.install] Error 2
> make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>
> I understood that 'com' directory is missing, but I didn't get other two
> messages.
>
> Can you please let me know what is "Waiting for unfinished jobs"; and 'how
> to resolve this"?

The last two messages are not problems by themselves, but the
consequence of the original one: that the /u/user1/bld/com directory
does not exist.  "Error 2" tells you that the OS error code for trying
to access the missing directory was 2, which is the numerical value of
"No such file or directory".  "Waiting for unfinished jobs" tells you
that Make is waiting for the jobs other than the one which encountered
the error to finish.

> Or what should I do to exit from make entirely once it finds that particular
> dir doesn't exists?

Why do you need that?