Re: Problem generating dependency files

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: Problem generating dependency files
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 11:30:52 +0000

On 2010-05-06 09:02Z, nature wrote:

> I got away with the problem by making use of the compiler switch "-MD" to
> get the dependency files during compilation itself .
> When i included this .d files, make takes lot of time to build (its almost
> hung).
> Even before this change ,build was slow, but after this change its worst.
> I run make in the debug mode to find out where the problem is and was
> surprised to see the log message.

Output of 'make -d' is usually lengthy. If this is the first time you've
used 'make -d', that may seem surprising to you. Or is there anything in
particular about it that's surprisingly different from the usual 'make -d'
output?

> Inspite of using VPATH to find for the source files, make searches it
> elsewhere and at the end it looks into the path specified in the VPATH .

I think you're saying that you specified VPATH in your makefile, then
used 'gcc -MD', and gcc looks for headers in its own header directories
first. That's normal; VPATH doesn't affect it.

When 'gcc -MD' takes more time than desired, one common recommendation
is to use 'gcc -MMD' instead.