substr within makefile

From: Jaitly, Rahul
Subject: substr within makefile
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 09:54:41 -0700

Hi,

I have a query with regard to writing makefile. I have a string that I pass to my makefile. I need to access each character of that string within my makefile and do processing based on what each is respectively. Is there a substr or equivalent function that I can use to access each character within a string by position of that character. So like accessing nth character of a string->

e.g. 3rd character of $(example) is ‘a’

Thanks,

Rahul