Detecting Makefile changes in incremental builds.

From: Krzysztof Cieniuch
Subject: Detecting Makefile changes in incremental builds.
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:02:00 +0100

Hi,
I've implemented build system that uses advanced auto-dependency generation as described by Paul Smith All works fine except one thing : if user changes compilation flags (e.g. modifies CFLAGS that are set in Makefile) or modifies list of libraries to link with (e.g. via LDFLAGS) make obvoiusly can't detect this. To fix that one may add Makefile itself as a prerequisite to all object files and library/executable targets but that seems an overkill any change in Makefile will cause full rebuild of all targets in that Makefile.

Is there more intelligent solution to this problem ?

I was thinking about creating checksum from options passed to compiler and store them in deps files similar to file dependency information but how could I tell make to mark target out of date if some checksum doesn't match previously computed ?

Thanks
Chris