Re: directory search fails!

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: directory search fails!
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 07:06:12 -0400

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 09:54 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 10:48:00 +0330
> > From: ali hagigat <address@hidden>
> >
> > 4.4.3 How Directory Searches are Performed
> > The algorithm make uses to decide whether to keep or abandon a path
> > found via directory search is as follows:
> > 1. If a target file does not exist at the path specified in the
> > makefile, directory search is performed.
> > 2. If the directory search is successful, that path is kept and this
> > file is tentatively stored as the target.
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > "this file is tentatively stored as the target"!!
> >
> > What does it mean? Target file will be stored on hard disk?
>
> No, it will be stored in Make's memory as the target, including its
> path.

Yes.  Make's internal understanding of the name of the target is changed
(tentatively) to one with this path added.

> This means that if the Makefile uses a target named "target1", which
> is found by directory search at /foo/bar/baz/target1, then Make will
> use "/foo/bar/baz/target1" in all places where the Makefile mentions
> "target1".  At least this is my understanding of the manual's text.

No, not "in all places where the Makefile mentions" it.

Only in places where make supplies the name; in particular expansions of
automatic variables like $< etc.

Make does not go through the recipes, etc. and replace "target1" with
"/foo/bar/baz/target1".