Re: argument 'v=x' does not appear to work as in the manual ?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: argument 'v=x' does not appear to work as in the manual ?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 10:13:41 -0500

On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 10:00 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: "Mark Galeck (CW)" <address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 18:37:00 -0800
> >
> > Tell me, where are those "GNU Standards for makefiles" published?
>
> Here:
>
>    http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html
>
> The specific guidance regarding the Makefile variables is here:
>
>    http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Command-Variables

Note that the GNU make manual imports this section as well (into the
"Makefile Conventions" section).  The text is identical (when I build a
release of GNU make it automatically grabs the latest version of this
chapter from the standard place).

I thought that the text was clearer here; you can infer the details but
it's not very explicit.  Maybe it was the automake manual or something
where it seemed like the rules were more clearly spelled out.