Odd rule issue

From: AdamWainwright
Subject: Odd rule issue
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 03:26:40 -0800 (PST)

Help!  Can anyone tell me why this small makefile won't work?

Makefile is running on Linux 2.6.27, gnu make version 3.81/64bit

PROGS=../xxx

$(PROGS): $(addsuffix .y, $(@F))
        cp $(@F).y $@

Initial run copies file 'xxx.y' to 'xxx'.  If 'xxx.y' is updated then the
rule does not equate to 'true' (because the file 'xxx' doesn't exist) and
actions taken.  Using debug I find it isn't even considering the
dependencies of the addsuffix() and states that the file doesn't need to be
updated.  I feel there is some error in my logic here but I can't put my
finger on it.

Adam