Re: inappropriate warning on Solaris?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: inappropriate warning on Solaris?
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 17:13:11 -0500

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 21:23 -0500, David Boyce wrote:
> As shown, the target does have a relatively hi-res timestamp but the
> prereq is even higher (001666000 vs 001666797). Essentially, Solaris
> cp -p chops off just the nanosecond part. It looks to me like make's
> algorithm for deciding to give a warning is too simplistic and/or
> Linux-centric. Is this a minor bug or am I missing something?

It's not about whether a timestamp is higher; it's about whether it's
high-resolution (that is, the sub-second part of the timestamp is set)
or not.

Basically if you declare a target to have a low-resolution timestamp,
then make goes and stats the file and sees that the timestamp actually
has a non-0 subsecond element, you get this warning.

Make is warning you that even though you told it this file should be
treated as low-resolution, in fact it's got high-resolution
timestamping.

Maybe this warning is not really useful; we'd have to think carefully
about the various use scenarios to determine that.