Re: 5.4 Parallel Execution(2)

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: 5.4 Parallel Execution(2)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:58:01 -0500

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 09:00 +0330, ali hagigat wrote:
> If some child processes read from standard input, in parallel
> execution some of them will receive broken pipe signal and perhaps
> they will be terminated. So what happens to make? make will return
> with an error?  immediately?

What the manual means is that IF the child reads from stdin, it will
fail because make will close stdin before invoking it.

You mean, what if the program that has stdin closed is make itself (as a
sub-make)?  That doesn't bother make because make never tries to read
any input from the user: it never asks any questions etc.

If you mean, what if a program make invokes tries to read from stdin and
gets an error, how does make handle that?  The same way it would handle
any other failure from any other job make invokes.  If the script that
is running the command doesn't catch it and do something with it, then
make will report the job as failed.

> I wonder if anybody can show how to redirect the standard input of make?

        make </dev/null

just like any other command where you'd want to redirect stdin.  This is
a shell question, really, not a make question.