Suppress automatic rule printing

From: Eric Reischer
Subject: Suppress automatic rule printing
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:40:26 -0500

Is there a way to suppress printing out built-in commands that GNU-make executes?

For instance, I have a series of files that are listed as targets of .INTERMEDIATE:, and at the end of the build process it dutifully deletes them, but echoes out the "rm foo.o bar.o" command as it's doing it. Is there a way to suppress printing out this command as its being executed?

(I have the Makefiles set up so if an environment flag isn't set, it only prints out the tool alias and target name for each object while it's building them, much in the same way the Linux Kernel build behaves. However, with the extra built-in command lines being run, I get periodic questions of "is it normal for those files to be deleted?", etc.)

Cheers