Re: load average and parallel execution

From: Luke Shumaker
Subject: Re: load average and parallel execution
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:01:23 -0500

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 09:13 +0330, ali hagigat wrote:
> it does not make sense we specify -l 2.5 and then use -l on command
> line, if we write:
> make -l 2.5
> will sub-makes inherit "-l 2.5" from their parent?

It does seem a little silly, but there are cases where it is useful.  If
you don't need that feature, then don't use it.

To me, the most obvious use is in recursive make, when you want a
top-level make to have it set, but not a sub-make.  If Makefile
contains:
> all: sub-folder
> sub-folder:
>       $(MAKE) -C $@ all -l
Then even if we use "-l 2.5" when we call make, the sub make won't have
a load limit.

--
~ LukeShu
http://lukeshu.ath.cx/