[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: hidden dependencies
Re: hidden dependencies
Wed, 19 Jan 2011 18:00:37 +0000
Thunderbird 22.214.171.124 (X11/20101213)
Philip Guenther wrote:
I was thinking about doing this but didn't liked side effect that
sources would be generated always even
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Warlich, Christof
I'm very interested in this subject. In my project we have generated
code for rpc interfaces and corba plus there is perl tool that generates
some xml files.
Same with me, lots of generated (include) files, so gcc -MD can't track
the dependencies until the files are generted.
What I did on a previous project that faced this was create an
order-only dependency from each file that 'could' #include a generated
.h file to that generated file. That guarantees the files are created
soon enough without requiring that everything be recompiled if a
generated header file is updated.
Help-make mailing list
if one rebuilds some completely unrelated module.
Note that there are corner cases (I admit very unlikely to happen) that
you may endup with broken incremental build.
Let say that I modify idl file that would result with changes in object
sizes and at the same time I modify some client code and add include for
generated header file. Now I run parallel build if dependency is missing
it may happen that my client code will be compiled with older version of
generated header file. Note that previous build didn't generated that
dependency since a that point client code didn't yet depend on that header.
The same issue would be if you're adding new code that includes
So it is important to have correct dependency information before running
build kinda chicken and egg problem.
Agree that order only dependency would solve at least any issues with
Re: hidden dependencies, David Boyce, 2011/01/18
- hidden dependencies, Warlich, Christof, 2011/01/18
- Re: hidden dependencies, Krzysztof Cieniuch, 2011/01/18
- RE: hidden dependencies, Warlich, Christof, 2011/01/19
- Re: hidden dependencies, Philip Guenther, 2011/01/19
- Re: hidden dependencies,
Krzysztof Cieniuch <=
- Re: hidden dependencies, Krzysztof Cieniuch, 2011/01/20
- Re: hidden dependencies, Philip Guenther, 2011/01/21
- Re: hidden dependencies, Krzysztof Cieniuch, 2011/01/21
- Re: hidden dependencies, Oleksandr Gavenko, 2011/01/24
- Re: hidden dependencies, Krzysztof Cieniuch, 2011/01/31
- Re: hidden dependencies, Björn Michaelsen, 2011/01/19