Re: How make interprets MAKEFLAGS?(2)

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: How make interprets MAKEFLAGS?(2)
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 07:45:57 -0500

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 10:31 +0330, ali hagigat wrote:
> At the first example we had n too:
> /root> export MAKEFLAGS=--ignore-errorsuuzzz

This flag begins with double-dashes.  Double-dashes introduce a long
option, so make considers the entire text to be a single option; that
is, make parses this as one option "--ignore-errorsuuzzz".

This is the standard parsing for long options in GNU programs.

The other example begin with a single dash; a single dash introduces a
string consisting of one or more single-letter options, so make
interprets it as "-i -g -n -o -e -e -r -r -o -r -s -u -u -z -z -z".

This is the POSIX standard method of parsing options.

http://www.gnu.org/s/libc/manual/html_node/Argument-Syntax.html