Re: Multiline variables inside single/double quote

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Multiline variables inside single/double quote
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 09:43:37 -0500

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 10:58 +0330, ali hagigat wrote:
> define var1
> echo tttt
> echo pppp
> endef
> e12:
>         @echo "$(var1)"

This is the same as if you'd written this makefile:

e12:
        @echo "echo tttt
        @echo ppp"

As the manual describes make treats multi-line variable values in
recipes as if they were individual logical lines, so each line is
invoked in a separate shell.  The first line has a missing end-quote
just as the shell said.

As a special case leading operators like "@" and "-" are applied to each
line, not just the first line.

> define var1
> echo tttt
> echo pppp
> endef
> e12:
>         @echo ""$(var1)""

This is the same as if you'd written this makefile:

e12:
        @echo ""echo tttt
        @echo pppp""

HTH.