RE: desperate situation with $(shell ... :(

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: desperate situation with $(shell ... :(
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:51:50 -0800

>fwrite=$(shell ($(__mxl_echo) "$2") >> $1) else
(...)
>There was a reason why I needed the extra parentheses to run the echo command
>in a subshell, but it's been so long

Well, the parentheses are not recognized as a special syntax in that context by
GNU make, so they are passed to the shell, and the reason why they would be
needed, is if the shell needed them to not echo ">>" - and Windows shell
documentation says, they are not needed.  Tell me if you remember some other
reason... Thank you.

By the way, I want to say, I appreciate everybody's help here.  My intention
was, just to check if I don't understand something about how "make" works.  It
appears that is not the case, unfortunately :)  that would be an easy fix.
Then, it's my job to find some fix and I will do it, I don't mean to ask you to
do my job :)