manual execution of make works, but not from another makefile

From: vkr
Subject: manual execution of make works, but not from another makefile
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 00:25:03 +0530

Hello.

*Problem Description; *
A few rules to clean, and build third party build system(*octeon_sdk*)  (gnu
make is being used to build the 3rd party stuff).
This 3rd party build system is being called from 'ElectricAccelerator's
emake tool'. That is, the whole lot of overall build gets started with
electric make, in which a component is this 3rd party build system.

The compilation of an object file is working fine, but, we are ending up
with warnings/errors while archiving.
similar to:

Warning: size of symbol `' changed from 292 in
obj/libcvm-enet.a(cvm-enet-bridge.o) to 1060 in
obj/libcvm-enet.a(cvm-enetbridge.o)
 and some multiple declarations of symbol `' and make is exiting with error.

*Strangely, When the build is run manually (bash shell), the execution
completes without any errors or warnings mentioned above, and archiving
works fine, too.*

Please could any one let me know what could possibly be wrong with the first
approach, and how is it different when run manually, than running it from
another make file?

PS: The entire build system works perfect with IBM ClearMake. We are porting
the build system to ElectricMake, and we are seeing these issues.

Thanks,