What is the difference between > and >> in a makefile.

From: givemecode
Subject: What is the difference between > and >> in a makefile.
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:15:46 -0700 (PDT)

I modified a for loop in a makefile that looked like this:

        @for f in $(DRV_GEN_HEADER) ; do echo "#include \""$$f"\"" >> $@ ; done

which puts the output of echo into a new file I sepcified.

changed to this:

       @for f in $(INCLUDE_DIR)/%.h); do \
           echo "#include \""$$f"\""; \
          done > '$@'

which does the same thing but the writing is done after the loop completes
(I think). Can someone please explain the difference and why it works?